Smithsonian Olmec Legacy

Website Search Box
Human figurine, La Venta, Tabasco

Artifact Image Gallery

Record Count: (251 - 275 out of 743)

Figurine Fragments

Figurine Fragments

Three bird figurine heads. One red clay with two punctures for eyes. Second bird has larger piercings for eyes and long neck. Third bird has small beak, but large bead eyes. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Figurine Fragment

Figurine Fragment

Cat-like figurine head with red slipping. Head is hollow. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Bird Effigy

Bird Effigy

Bird figurine with flattened disc-like head. Missing one wing. Tail feathers partly broken. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Mask Fragment

Mask Fragment

Partial mask, with missing top half. With open mouth, tongue protruding and teeth showing. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Stone Celt

Stone Celt

Stone celt. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Stone Polisher

Stone Polisher

Incised triangular piece with series of bands and “x” design. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Projectile Points

Projectile Points

Lot of eight obsidian projectile points. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Snub-Nose Scraper

Snub-Nose Scraper

Obsidian fragment. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Abrader

Abrader

Ceramic “cap.” With incised top. Object is concave. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Bone Awls and Fragments

Bone Awls and Fragments

Lot of five bone awls and fragments. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Vessel Leg

Vessel Leg

Vessel leg in the shape of a head. Face and features outlined with black pigment. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Bowl

Bowl

Shallow earthenware bowl. Buff slip. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Bowl

Bowl

Red slipped bowl. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Broken Dish

Broken Dish

Dish with missing rim section. Field number “R-21-B” Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Shouldered Bowl

Shouldered Bowl

Bowl with red-slipped interior. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Large Vessel

Large Vessel

Large, undecorated vessel with straight sides, flat base. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Vessel Fragments

Vessel Fragments

Parrtially repaired vessel, with majority of vessel missing. Total of five sherds, with three glued together. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Vessel

Ceramic Vessel

Fragmentary globular ceramic vessel with outflaring rim, constricted neck. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Bowl

Bowl

Completely repaired bowl with flat base, signs of red slipping. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Repaired Bowl

Repaired Bowl

Partially repaired grayware bowl. Total of six sherds glued together. Thinly walled. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Vessel Fragments

Vessel Fragments

Vessel fragments, some of which have been glued together. Signs of red slipping. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Earthenware Olla

Earthenware Olla

From Trench 40 Offering. Red-slipped with concave base. Part of collection collected at Cerro de las Mesas, Veracruz, Mexico, in 1941 by the National Geographic Society-Smithsonian Institution Expedition under direction of Dr. M.W. Stirling and transferred to the National Museum by the Bureau of American Ethnology.

Earthenware Olla

Earthenware Olla

From Trench 40 Offering. Red-slipped with concave base. Part of collection collected at Cerro de las Mesas, Veracruz, Mexico, in 1941 by the National Geographic Society-Smithsonian Institution Expedition under direction of Dr. M.W. Stirling and transferred to the National Museum by the Bureau of American Ethnology.

Earthenware Olla

Earthenware Olla

From Trench 40 Offering. Red-slipped vessel with concave base. Written on vessel: “Expedicion Stirling Trinchera HQ Ofrenda Cerro De Las Mesas Tlalixcoyan Ver.” Part of collection collected at Cerro de las Mesas, Veracruz, Mexico, in 1941 by the National Geographic Society-Smithsonian Institution Expedition under direction of Dr. M.W. Stirling and transferred to the National Museum by the Bureau of American Ethnology.

Earthenware Olla

Earthenware Olla

From Trench 40 Offering. Red-slipped vessel with concave base. Part of collection collected at Cerro de las Mesas, Veracruz, Mexico, in 1941 by the National Geographic Society-Smithsonian Institution Expedition under direction of Dr. M.W. Stirling and transferred to the National Museum by the Bureau of American Ethnology.


Return to Search

[ TOP ]