Smithsonian Olmec Legacy

Website Search Box
Human figurine, La Venta, Tabasco

Artifact Image Gallery

Record Count: (101 - 125 out of 743)

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 200+ sherds, with some incising and combing present. From Trench 13, 0-12in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 500+ sherds, with incising, combing and white slipping present. From Trench 13, 12-24in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 500+ sherds, with incising, combing and white slipping present. From Trench 13, 12-24in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ sherds, with incising and combing present. From Trench 13, 24-36in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Pottery Vessel

Pottery Vessel

Globular vessel with broken rim. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ sherds, with some incising and combing present. From Trench 13, 36-48in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ sherds, with some signs of incising, but predominantly undecorated. From Trench 13, 48-60in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ sherds, mostly undecorated. From Trench 13, 60-72in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ sherds, some with signs of combing. From Trench 26, Section 2, 0-12in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 60+ sherds, with some signs of combing. From Trench 26, Section 2, 12-24in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ sherds, with signs of incising and combing. From Trench 26, Section 2, 24-36in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 400+ sherds, some incised, others slipped. From Trench 26, Section 2, 36-48in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ sherds, with some incising, some combing. From Trench 26, Section 2, 48-60in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ sherds, mostly undecorated, but with some incising and combing occurring. From Trench 26, Section 2, 60-72in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds and Bone

Ceramic Sherds and Bone

Collection of ceramic sherds, figurine fragments, and bone fragments. Bones include jaw, long bone, and scapula sections. From Trench 26, Section 2, 72-84in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds and Bone

Ceramic Sherds and Bone

Collection of ceramic sherds, figurine fragments, and bone fragments. Bones include jaw, long bone, and scapula sections. From Trench 26, Section 2, 72-84in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds and Bone

Ceramic Sherds and Bone

Collection of ceramic sherds, figurine fragments, and bone fragments. Bones include jaw, long bone, and scapula sections. From Trench 26, Section 2, 72-84in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Ceramic Sherds

Ceramic Sherds

Lot of 100+ undecorated sherds. From Trench 26, Section 1. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Decorated Bowl

Decorated Bowl

Bowl with decorated interior. Bowl has been repaired, with missing pieces filled in. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Bowl

Bowl

Decorated blackware bowl with series of white curved lines. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Nephrite Celt

Nephrite Celt

Small nephrite celt. This item was not found in any excavation but was instead purchased by Stirling while working in Tres Zapotes. Part of collection collected at Tres Zapotes, Tuxtla District, during the winters of 1938-39 and 1939-40 by the Smithsonian Institution-National Geographic Society expedition under M.W. Stirling.

Earthenware Bottle

Earthenware Bottle

Brownware bottle. Incised triangles on shoulder. Outflaring rim mended. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Earthenware Bottle

Earthenware Bottle

Red, looped shoulder decoration over tan slip. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Earthenware Bottle

Earthenware Bottle

Brownware beaker-like vessel with convex base. Slightly outflaring rim. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.

Earthenware jar

Earthenware jar

Globular, unslipped jar with slightly outflaring rim. From Tlatilco, site 2½ miles west of Tacuba, D.F. Part of collection of “archeological material purchased from natives in various parts of Mexico and presented to the U.S. National Museum by Dr. W.F. Foshag” in 1945.


Return to Search

[ TOP ]